The September issue of Practical Photography is out now! Here’s what you can look forward to…
13 free gifts
CyberLink PowerDirector 14 LE software worth £40, 60 minutes of new camera and editing videos, 8 tips cards, 32-page editing magazine, hand-colouring swatches, bokeh effects kit, and updated camera buying guide.
Unleash the power of your flashgun with this 13-page guide to the best settings, setups and techniques. Follow our four creative projects to put your skills to the test.
How to capture natural pet portraits
From the bubbly effervescence of man’s best friend to the regal elegance of horses, we show you how to shoot cute and cuddly photos of your favourite pets.
Create a miniature city with a tilt & shift effect, get a stylish split tone look in Lightroom, colourise old pictures, smooth skin for blemish-free portraits, and much more.
Camera School – Module 5
Learn to work with moving subjects in the penultimate part of our free camera skills course. Find out how to compose, focus and shoot for perfect panning.
Get into gear
In-depth reviews of Canon’s 6D MkII and 200D, Nikon’s D7500, the six best flashguns under £300, and Sigma’s new 100-400mm telephoto zoom lens.
The August issue of Practical Photography includes 12 free gifts, 80 minutes of new videos, and a 164-page magazine packed with camera and editing advice…
12 free gifts
Get a massive 101 Actions bundle for Photoshop and Elements, 8 tips cards, special feature-length Learn Photography Now show, 32-page image-editing magazine, and updated camera buying guide.
10 best hidden features on your camera
Unlock new genres and techniques with this complete guide to the most useful but underused camera functions. We’ll show you why, how and when to use them.
Uncover the beauty of the human body
From surreal bodyscapes to facial abstracts, we’ve got three creative projects that will help you celebrate the intricacies of the human form. Includes step-by-step setup guides and editing advice.
Add contrast in Lightroom, create a fine art landscape, remove under-eye bags, take and make an epic panoramic, turn day into night, and get the best from your 101 free Actions for Photoshop and Elements.
Camera School – Module 4
Like food? You’ll love the latest instalment of our free camera skills course! This month we look at turning fruit into stylish still life, from choosing the right settings to framing up and focusing.
Get into gear
Take to the skies with our in-depth look at DJI Mavic Pro, go mirrorless with Canon’s M6, find the best wide-aperture prime lens for under £1000, and back-up with five of the best solid state drives.
The July issue of Practical Photography includes 12 free gifts, 60 minutes of new videos and 164 pages of stunning images, expert advice and in-depth reviews…
12 free gifts
Get 8 exclusive tips cards, 25% off SRB ND1000 filters, a 32-page image-editing magazine packed with Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom step-by-steps, our exclusive Colour Effects Pack for Photoshop, and much more.
Learn how to create movement
Whether you’re shooting stormy seascapes or a busy urban street, there’s no better way to inject energy into your shots than with a hint of movement. Our 14-page guide explores four techniques that will give your shots a strong sense of motion.
Discover the art of water
We’ve curated three innovative projects that celebrate the diverse nature of water, from mysterious bathtub portraits and inky abstracts to spectacular underwater pond life.
Add copyright info and watermarks in Lightroom, colour pop in style, create a striking sketch effect, learn to focus stack for maximum sharpness, and discover a trio of nifty Photoshop hacks.
Camera School – Module 3
The latest instalment of our free camera skills course takes a closer look at floral portraits and how wide apertures and wide focal lengths can be used together to create a sense of location. Sign up here.
Get into gear
Read our in-depth review of Canon’s new 800D, get hands-on with Hasselblad’s 50C mirrorless medium-format, discover the seven best Photoshop alternatives, and choose from five brilliant underwater compacts.
The June issue of Practical Photography is packed with 12 free gifts and 164 pages of inspiration, advice and reviews. Here are a few highlights...
12 free gifts
Your bumper pack includes 8 exclusive tips cards, a 32-page Photoshop magazine, over 60 minutes of new camera and editing videos, a Photoshop Glitch Kit with 35 effects, and an updated camera buying guide.
Break the rules of landscape photography
Rules are made to be broken, which is why we’re throwing caution to the wind and unshackling our creativity with nine alternatives ways to shoot landscapes. Always use the rule-of-thirds? Not this time!
DIY photo hacks for amazing creative shots
Discover 3 brilliant ways to refashion unwanted gear into new accessories, from converting old glass into a brilliant tilt & shift lens to turning your smartphone into an incredible macro machine with the help an old CD player.
Camera School – Module 2
The second instalment of our free camera skills course focuses on shooting flattering portraits, looking at how to blur backgrounds, create interesting compositions and get sharp images every time.
10 of the best DSLR kit bags under £300
From traditional backpacks to modern messengers, a great bag really is the secret to great shots. We’ve rounded up the very best in our no-holds-barred group test to find the perfect model for your photography needs.
The new issue of Practical Photography includes 13 brilliant freebies, including DxO editing software worth £159, 8 tips cards and lots more...
Enhance images with DxO Optics Pro 9, get 8 travel and landscape tips cards, watch over 60 minutes of new camera and editing videos, and add the ‘wow’ factor to your portraits with 20 custom brushes.
Inspiration and advice
Master the art of travel with 4 must-try projects, discover the thrill of travel photography, make a mono masterpiece in Lightroom, and sign up to Camera School and get feedback from the PP team.
The world’s best photographers
John Dibbs takes to the skies with his incredible aviation images, Nico Nordstrom invites us into Marie Antoinette’s reimagined world of opulence, and Sue Williamson tells us why vintage vibes are the way forward.
Get to grips with Fuji’s medium-format GFX 50S, take a first look at Canon’s 800D, find the ten best mirrorless travel lenses under £1500, and pimp your smartphone with 5 essential accessories.
Get 8 free gifts including exclusive tips cards, 75 minutes of new camera and editing videos, 164 pages of inspiration and advice, and lots more…
Learn new skills with 4 natural world tips cards, watch and learn with our biggest video disc yet, and improve your macro shots with our latest collection of Photoshop Actions
Inspiration and advice
Explore the beauty of the natural world with our 14-page skills guide, discover the art of creative self-portraits with three brilliant projects, apply advanced RAW edits in Lightroom, and much more
The world's best photographers
Mark Bauer shares his top tips for atmospheric landscapes, Tim Laman talks exotic wildlife adventures and what it means to win Wildlife Photographer of the Year, and Chris Porsz unveils the personal project 40 years in the making
Take a first look at Canon’s EOS 77D, find out whether Fuji’s X-T20 is the perfect CSC, discover the ten best macro lenses under £1000, and check out five low-level tripods for macro
Get 6 free gifts including an exclusive memory card case, 164 pages of brilliant images and expert photo advice, and over 60 minutes of new camera and editing video lessons…
FREE! Memory card case Keep your memory cards, lens clothes and batteries safe with this tough and stylish kit bag essential
FREE! Learn Photography Now CD-ROM Watch and learn with over 60 minutes of hands-on lesson, including a wild landscape masterclass and three off-camera flash projects for creative portraits
FREE! Photoshop Genius magazine Improve your editing skills with 32 pages of step-by-step tutorials for all levels of ability. This month, master the basics of Lightroom, create quick and easy mono effects, and add new skies to flat landscapes
FREE! 15 Portrait Styles Actions Give your people pics a one-click makeover with these new presets for Photoshop and Elements. Includes cross-processing effects, retro film styles and clarity boosts
FREE! 20 royalty-free textures Add depth to any image with our exclusive collection. There’s a complete step-by-step guide in the magazine
FREE! Complete Camera Guide Concise reviews of every DSLR and CSC on the market right now
Plus 164 pages of inspiration, advice and reviews…
Ultimate guide to photographing Britain’s wildlife Find and photograph the UK’s most accessible animals with expert insight from pros Danny Green, Sam Hobson, Simon Roy and more
Shoot a wedding to remember Set yourself up for success with this complete guide to wedding photography. Master the essential shots, learn from the best, and cut out and keep our definitive shotlist
Talent to burn Tom Barnes is one the best portrait photographers in the world. If you want to read a no-holds-barred insight into the life of a 21st century pro, look no further
Pit stop! Jamey Price is addicted to motorsport photography and his images will suck you in and immerse you in the action. Here he talks us through one of his most dramatic images
Know your stuff This month we look at tilt & shift lenses, gimbal tripod heads, camera triggers and rolling shutters
10 best telephotos under £1200 Perfect for wildlife and sports photography, these powerful optics allow you to zoom in tight for high-impact images. With prices starting at just £269, we round-up 10 great models to find the best for your buck
5 best photo apps From free editing software from Adobe to mapping apps that let you precisely plan landscape shoots, these are the best photo-friendly apps for your phone
The new issue of Practical Photography is the first to incorporate Digital Photo and introduces a stylish new look and a wealth of fresh content that caters for all levels of ability. Here’s what you can look forward to…
- FREE! Essential Camera Handbook Get 52 extra pages of expert advice with this pocket-sized, jargon-busting book that answers the questions you’ve asked us most frequently. From sensor sizes to focusing modes, we guarantee you’ll pick up a few tips
- NEW! Photoshop Genius Master the art of image editing with a new 32-page section dedicated to Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom. This month we show you how to create 360º panoramics, make artistic multiple exposures and add colour effects
- FREE! Learn Photography Now CD-ROM Watch and learn with over 65 minutes of expert camera and editing videos on our biggest multimedia disc yet. This month’s show features macro skills, astro and street photography guides, and red squirrel advice. Watch the trailer below
- FREE! 21 creative borders Frame your images in style with an exclusive collection of borders and a complete step-by-step tutorial on how to adapt them for any image. From scratches and creases to retro film rebates and grids, we’ve got it covered
Plus 216 pages of inspiration, advice and reviews...
- ‘It’s my best photo ever!’ We asked ten award-winning photographers to choose their own favourite photos and reveal the secrets behind their creation. The results will surprise, inspire and enthrall
- Embrace the beauty of reflections Discover three diverse but accessible creative projects, from symmetrical city abstracts to epic landscapes
- A feast for the eyes Taste Carl Warner’s incredible foodscapes and find out how a humble pineapple was transformed into the Great Wall of China
- Unintended perfection Adventure and lifestyle photographer Morgan Phillips talks us through the techniques behind one of his most jaw-dropping images
- Digital fairytales Find out how portrait photographer Linda Blacker turns YouTube celebrities into magical characters from the world of fiction
- Know your stuff This month we look at long exposures, telephoto technique, wireless flash triggers, studio flash on a budget and lens adapters
- Nikon D5600 Read our full review of Nikon’s latest entry-level DSLR, which offers a compact body, stunning sensor and Bluetooth connectivity
- 10 best mirrorless cameras under £1500 Pro spec CSC models from the likes of Sony, Panasonic and Fujifilm go head-to-head in this insightful group test
- Video disc Over 40 minutes of camera and editing lessons – create frosty fine art, make a home studio for under £100, and shoot graphic city scenes
- Photoshop Actions Add drama and detail to any sky with 20 new ‘ND Grad Filter Effects’ Actions for Photoshop and Elements
- Complete camera guide Buying a DSLR or CSC but don’t know where to start? Our unique ebook includes reviews, spec and prices for every camera available right now
- 15 creative projects for dynamic portraits Start the New Year with a bang with these quick and easy technique guides. No project should take you more than an hour!
- Reinvent the art of still life Let your imagination run wild with three new ways to push the creative envelope, from frozen flowers to deconstructed cameras
- Beauty in solitude Mikko Lagerstedt’s epic landscapes are inspired by Finland’s magical countryside. Find out how captures such atmosphere
- Lady in the lavender Fashion star Bella Kotak chooses her favourite winter-themed portrait and tells is exactly how she created it
- Delicate designs Magda Indigo’s exquisite floral project has been 20 years in the making and will have you looking at your garden very differently
- Know your stuff This month we look at accessible winter wildlife, camera bag essentials, smartphones, 360º cameras and the meaning of fine art
- Editing suite The second part of our ‘Elements – back to basics’ series looks at Layers and Selections, the Crop Tool and the cloning and healing tools
- Capture & create Make a Hockney-inspired photo collage with this simple camera and editing step-by-step
- Get into gear 14 wide-angle zooms for APS-C and full-frame go head to head, 2017’s hottest photo news and 5 of the best carbon fibre tripods
- Student showcase Our new series starts with Alice Gough’s gritty look at one of the UK’s last cattle markets
- Video disc Over 40 minutes of the best camera and editing lessons – know your focusing modes, recreate a classic, and master Elements' Camera Raw interface
- Photoshop Actions Apply basic enhancements to every image with 15 new presets
- Winter landscapes Three of the world’s leading seasonal experts share their expert advice on creating a stunning winter portfolio
- Find the perfect format Take a fresh look at the physical shape of your images and reinvent your archives
- Antarctic explorer Join polar specialist David Merron as he braves extreme temperatures and 50,000 penguins in the name of art
- Know your stuff Our team of experts answers questions on level horizons, focusing modes, focal lengths and buying secondhand
- Reach for the skies Enjoy a fresh take on the world’s most iconic cities with Stephane Legrand’s epic aerial images
- Pursuing perfection Ballerina and photographer Darian Volkova invites us into her unique world
- Editing suite The first part of our ‘Elements – back to basics’ series looks at exposure, colour and tone, and the Camera Raw interface
- Capture & create Mimic a dynamic Big Stopper effect with this simple camera and editing technique
- Get into gear Our massive festive gift guide includes over 70 brilliant ideas for every budget, from £5 stocking fillers to £8000 bank-busters
- Video disc Over 50 minutes of new camera and editing lessons – shoot autumn portraits, turn veg into foodscapes, create light orbs and more!
- Photoshop Actions Add and enhance winter atmosphere with 20 exclusive presets
- 21 creative ideas for winter Get creative with everything from abstract fireworks to minimal monos and bring something new to your portfolio
- Experiment with light Discover three spectacular ways to paint with light and win a Pixelstick worth £349
- Wonder quest Venture to the far corners of the Earth with Daniel Kordan, on his mission to boldly go where no photographer has gone before
- Off-piste pioneer Explore the peaks of Austria with Christoph Oberschneider and find out what it takes to shoot extreme sports
- Urban explorer Max Gor focuses on the citizens of London - his personal project is the ultimate love letter
- Editing suite Our winter technique special looks at enhancing RAW landscapes, creating fine art images, and adding snow to portraits
- Capture & create Add twinkling starburst effects to your scenes with this complete shooting and editing step-by-step tutorial
- Get into gear In-depth reviews of Nikon’s D3400, Canon’s EOS M5 and Panasonic’s G80, plus the five best value storage devices
- Free video disc Over 50 minutes of landscape skills, spooky Halloween projects and Photoshop tutorials. Plus, 15 extreme textures and camera buying ebook
- New columnist Acclaimed fashion photographer Lisa-Marie McGinn joins the team and offers up her down to Earth advice for out of this world results
- Master exposure Want extra drama and detail? Follow our complete four-step guide to achieving perfectly balanced results, from RAW to HDR and beyond
- 3 ways to capture urban fine art Create dynamic images of the modern city, with advice from the world’s best architecture photographers
- Rock star Christian Ripkens is one of the world’s best music photographers – this is the inside story to his success
- Subtle symmetry Inspired by pattern and order, Christian Webb has created a series of typologies that explore the intricacies of everyday objects
- Editing suite Give your spookiest images the Halloween treatment with three special Photoshop step-by-steps – blend textures, create ghosts, and make scary silhouettes
- Get into gear In-depth reviews of the new Canon 5D MkIV and the 15 sharpest prime lenses from Canon, Nikon, Sigma and more
- Free video disc 50 minutes of camera and editing lessons, including a black & white landscape special, plus 15 exclusive mono Actions for Photoshop and Elements
- Five-step plan to incredible mono Explore what makes a great black & white photo, and find out why tone, texture, shape and atmosphere are key to great results
- Build your autumn portfolio in a day Three creative projects to help you shoot early morning mist, stunning wildlife and graphic silhouettes
- Another true story Kevin Mullins is the UK’s best documentary-style wedding photographer - and a master of black & white. This is his inspirational story
- Basket case Love abandoned spaces? Find out how to photograph them safely with urban explorer Stefan Baumann
- Cranium Fantastico When portrait pro Jo Hanley was diagnosed with cancer, she responded in the only way she knew how – she started shooting self-portraits
- Editing suite Get to grips with dodging and burning, enjoy Google's free Nik free Silver Efex Pro plug-in, and go ethereal with infrared, in this black & white editing special
- Get into gear In-depth reviews of Fuji’s X-T2, Pentax’s K-70, Hasselblad’s X1D and five of the best home printers
- Free video disc Over 50 minutes of exclusive camera and editing lessons plus 15 exclusive Photoshop texture brushes
- Develop your landscape style 5 simple steps to defining and building your unique style plus top tips from professional landscapers on how they developed theirs
- Creative flash techniques Take your lighting skills further with three brilliant single-flash projects
- Eye of the storm Experience the ferocious brutality and ruthless force of the Earth’s elements with Marko Korosec on his storm chasing adventures
- Retro glamour Bringing a touch of classic Hollywood to the fashion party, Judith Bender-Jura combines a love of cars with creative lighting
- Little owl diaries Family connections, an old fence post and a tub of mealworms led Simon Roy to these cute critters
- Editing suite Create a distressed look, make vibrant tri-colour portraits and finish your images with a textured border
- Get into gear 49 flashguns reviewed, 5 of the best flash modifiers, and a full test of Sigma’s 50-100mm f/1.8 telephoto
- Free video disc 45 minutes of expert camera and editing lessons plus 16 sharpening Actions for Photoshop and Elements
- Build your own wildlife portfolio Learn the five key techniques that will help you master every type of shot, from freezing action to capturing macro minibeasts
- I wish I’d taken that! Find out how to create inspirational images that will leave viewers in awe, with expert advice from Bella Kotak and more
- Impossible memories Dina Belenko shares her enchanting conceptual still life creations and guides us through her creative process
- Pretty flamingoes Tejas Soni crawls on his belly in simmering 43º heat to shoot a flock of sun-kissed flamingoes
- Street child Olivia Acland and the Street Child charity are working to improve the lives of 50,000 children in Sierra Leone
- Editing suite Discover three ways to enhance your wildlife images in Photoshop. Plus, watch the Photoshop tutorial on your free video disc
- Get into gear The six highest resolution cameras go head to head, including Canon’s 5DS and Nikon’s D810
- Free memory stick Grab your 5GB Hähnel Extreme USB stick (available only at Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury's)
- Free video disc Over 50 minutes of expert hands-on photo lessons and tutorials to help you shoot better pictures
- 5 things to shoot right now Check out five exciting genres that you’ve always wanted to experiment with and revolutionise your photography
- Capture emotion Learn how to infuse emotion into your images with the help of three pro photographers
- Clean, elegant and feminine Lisa-Marie McGinn explains how she has brought a sense of style to fashion photography
- The Rock Journey with Patrick di Fruscia to learn how he took his inspiration from landscapes to form a professional career
- The life aquatic Maria Svarbova explains how her local swimming pool’s Soviet-influenced architecture has lead her to a unique portfolio of painterly portraits
- Get into gear The fastest ever APS-C DLSR has been released after seven years of waiting. Does the Nikon D500 live up to our expectations?
- Photoshop tutorials You’ll find two creative editing videos on your free Learn Photography Now disc
- Free image grid templates Use our free templates to create stunning collages. Choose between 16 grids of various shapes and sizes for the perfect collection
- Free holidays and courses book 32 pages of hands-on workshops and tuition for every subject
- Free video disc Over 50 minutes of expert camera and editing lessons, plus 15 portrait Actions and buying guide ebook
- Ultimate guide to perfect portraits Get back to basics with settings, lighting and composition
- 5 essential accessories Check out the kit bag essentials that will make the biggest difference to your photography
- Nature’s way Find out how award-winning natural world pro Ross Hoddinott has honed his craft in isolated splendour
- Pulp fiction Step inside Mathieu Chatrain’s elaborate dream worlds made entirely of paper
- Nice nosing you Elke Vogelsang explains how a simple 365 project turned into a professional career focusing on quirky canine characters
- Editing suite Our portrait editing special includes step-by-step tutorials on artist multiple exposures, tilt & shift blur, and blending textures
- Get into gear Canon’s 1D X MkII and Nikon’s D5 go head-to-head in the ultimate flagship DSLR test
- Free hotshoe spirit level Essential landscape accessory (exclusive to Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrison and Waitrose)
- Free video disc Watch our exclusive interview with guitar legend Brian May, as he shares his passion for 3D photography
- Movement in the landscape Your complete skills guide to more dynamic scenic images
- Multiple exposure portraits Invigorate your people pics with two exciting techniques to try
- Brick by brick Find out how Lego photographer Chris McVeigh turned a childhood obsession into a multimedia empire
- Fury Road We tracked down Mad Max’s stills photographer to find out how iconic movie images are created
- King of the river Italian wildlife pro Max Rinaldi debuts his spectacular kingfisher project
- Capture & create Blend objects to make the impossible a reality using the power of Layer Masks
- Editing suite Our selections special includes tutorials on the Quick Selection Tools, Quick Mask Mode and the Pen Tool
- Get into gear Reviews of Canon’s 1300D, Olympus’ Pen-F and Fuji’s X-E2S and X70, plus the five best-value macro lenses
- Photoshop tutorials You’ll find two creative editing videos on your free Learn Photography Now disc
- Free Photoshop Actions We’re giving away ten new seasonal Actions for Photoshop and Elements, from contrast and saturation to retro and black & white