Sigma has announced the flagship lens in its superb Sports line - the 500mm f/4...
Promising a ‘full range’ of advanced features, the Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM | Sports has an RRP of £5999.99, although a launch date has yet to be confirmed.
Designed with action and wildlife photographers in mind, Sigma’s latest telephoto lens looks set to be the latest in a long line of impressive optics from the Japanese giant, a list that includes the Gear of the Year award-winning Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art lens.
Key features include:
Lens construction: 16 elements in 11 groups
Maximum aperture: f/4
Minimum aperture: f/32
Filter size: 46mm (rear)
Angle of view (35mm): 5°
Minimum focusing distance: 350cm/137.8in
Dimensions (diameter x length): 144.8mm x 380.3mm/5.7in x 15in
Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm)
Maximum magnification ratio: 1:6.5
Accessories: Case, hood and WR Protector
Mounts: Sigma, Canon and Nikon
Photographers typically choose a prime lens when they require top image quality. However, the new flagship lens of our Sports line, the Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM, fulfills this need while incorporating Sigma’s latest technologies and delivering a full range of advanced features and functions: enhanced dust- and splash-proof construction, Optical Stabiliser (OS) system, Sigma Tele Converter compatibility, AF function switch, Sigma’s latest-generation Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM), and more. Combining top-level optical performance with functionality for challenging shoots, Sigma’s 500mm F4 DG OS HSM | Sports sets a new standard for high-performance telephoto lenses.
1. Outstanding functionality for challenging shoots.
● Enhanced dust/splash-proof construction: Designed for top performance in tough shooting conditions, the Sigma 500mm F4 DG HSM | Sports features highly effective dust- and splash-proof construction. The front of the lens features a water- and oil-repellent coating that allows water to be wiped away easily and helps prevent oil from sticking to the surface. This feature is particularly useful when shooting in a drizzle or near ocean spray. The lens is compatible with the exclusive Sigma Protector LPT-11 (sold separately), which effectively helps prevent damage to the lens during shooting and
● Magnesium alloy barrel: To help minimise the weight associated with a hyper telephoto lens, the lens barrel is made with a magnesium alloy. Both lightweight and tough, this alloy contributes to the outstanding manoeuvrability of Sigma’s 500mm F4 DG HSM | Sports.
● Carbon fiber hood: The lens hood is made of carbon fiber, which is both lightweight and strong. In fact, the entire lens is designed to be lightweight for outstanding performance in tough shooting conditions.
● Tripod socket with 90° click stops: Since photographers often prefer to use a hyper-telephoto lens with a monopod or tripod, the lens features a large and extremely stable tripod socket. Antistatic nickel plating on the socket help enhance the quality and durability of the 90° click stops, which make it easy to switch between vertical and horizontal shooting positions. The click position may be canceled by turning off the “de-clicking” switch. The lens also comes equipped with a dedicated strap for the tripod socket, making it easy to carry equipment without undue stress on the camera mount.
● Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism included: The lens for the Nikon camera includes the electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism and is able to receive the appropriate signals from the camera body. This feature ensures precision
diaphragm control and stable Auto Exposure (AE) performance during continuous shooting.
2. Top-level optical performance
The lens incorporates two FLD and one SLD glass elements, while the optimised power distribution helps minimise spherical aberration and axial chromatic aberration. The optical system also effectively minimises transverse chromatic aberration, which can affect the edges of the shots taken in the telephoto range. In addition, image quality remains exceptional when the lens is used with a Sigma Tele Converter (sold separately).
3. Functions that satisfy the demands of professional photographers.
● OS system with acceleration sensor and new Intelligent OS algorithm: The Optical Stabiliser (OS) system features an acceleration sensor to deliver even more precise performance and up to approximately 4 stops of stabilisation. Two OS modes are available: Mode 1 for general photography and Mode 2 for motor sports and other applications requiring
panning. In Mode 2, the acceleration sensor teams up with the Intelligent OS and its updated stabilisation algorithm to deliver effective stabilisation while you move the camera horizontally, vertically, or diagonally—regardless of the position of the lens. This feature helps ensure effective panning and outstanding capture of moving subjects.
● AF function switch with preset AF modes: The AF function switch allows you to set your own autofocus specification. The lens can remember the focus position of your choice or turn off AF until it is needed.
● Manual override incorporated to make two full-time manual modes switchable. In addition to AF/MF, MO (Manual Override) is incorporated as one of the options of the focus mode switch. By setting it to the MO position, it switches to manual focus by rotating the focus ring even during continuous AF. With AF position, standard full-time manual focus is available. Using the optional Sigma USB Dock, it is possible to adjust the MO position’s sensitivity to switch to manual focus.
● Quieter and Faster “Optimized AF”: The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) ensures high speed and quiet AF. With the further enhanced AF algorithm compared to previous models, continuous AF (AF-C) improves the focusing efficiency.
4. Sigma Tele Converters, mount converters, and USB DOCK make possible customisation and flexible adjustment for convenience or a specific purpose.
● AF is effective even when Tele Converters are attached Tele Converters that are newly designed to match the new lens line-ups (optional) can be attached. The addition of Sigma’s Tele Converter TC-1401 or Tele Converter TC-2001 produces a AF 700mm F5.6 hyper-telephoto lens or a AF 1000mm F8 hyper-telephoto lens respectively.
● Compatible with Mount Converter MC-11: Mount Converter MC-11 allows you to use your Sigma SA mount and Sigma EOS mount (Canon-compatible) interchangeable lenses with the Sony E-mount camera body. Owners of multiple camera systems can now get even more out of their valuable lens assets.
● Sigma USB Dock - Customisable to your needs: Customisation including firmware updates, focus adjustment, setting of full-time manual operations as well as adjustment of the timing to switch to MF when rotating the focus ring is available with the optional Sigma USB Dock, by connecting it with the dedicated software “Sigma Optimization Pro” on a
computer. With this lens, custom mode that can be set depending on the photography situation is available by switching it on the lens. Through custom mode, it is possible to set AF speed, focus limiter where desired focus range can be adjusted, and OS where one of the patterns for optical stabiliser can be selected from “Dynamic View Mode”, “Standard” and “Moderate View Mode”.