Canon has announced two new DSLRs for enthusiasts and absolute beginners...
It’s been a quiet couple of months for Canon, with new releases few and far between, but the silence has been broken with news of two new DSLRs. The EOS 77D is being pitched as a more affordable enthusiast camera and is in essence a streamlined version of the popular 80D, while the EOS 800D is an entry-level model aimed at absolute beginners. To coincide, Canon has also announced a new kit lens, the EF-S 18-55mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, which the Japanese giant is the smallest of its kind. Features of note include a 24.2MP resolution (EOS 77D), 5-axis digital image stabiliser (both) and guided interface (800D).
Canon today introduces two new DSLR cameras to the EOS family – the EOS 77D and EOS 800D. Combining leading imaging technologies, including a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 processor, the EOS 77D offers high-end performance and full control and is ideal if you’re looking to upgrade your kit and refine your skills, while the EOS 800D is great way to start your first DSLR journey. Alongside the cameras, Canon welcomes the EF-S 18-55mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM – the smallest non-retractable DSLR kit lens of its focal range – as well as the Remote Controller BR-E1, perfect for remote capture with no line of sight up to 5m away.
Quality, detail and speed
With the same sensor technology found in the iconic EOS 80D and Canon’s latest processor – DIGIC 7 – both cameras capture scenes in impressive quality, with richer detail, while being fast enough to ensure a crystal-clear image. Boasting the world’s fastest autofocus using Live View mode at an astonishing 0.03 seconds, the cameras deliver pin-sharp precision, and with the ability to shoot at 6 frames a second fast moving subjects are captured with ease.
For low light shots from sunrise to sunset, the cameras let you shoot up to ISO 25,600 – extendable to 51,200 – and capture every scene without struggle. For some shots, detail is everything, and with 45 cross-type AF points the cameras focus quickly, track moving objects accurately, and capturing razor-sharp images. Both cameras also include 7560pixel RGB+IR metering to detect fine details such as skin tone and offer accurate exposure.
Take a bite out of Hollywood
You can capture an exceptional level of detail and smooth motion in movies as well as stills, catching fast moving subjects in Full HD 60p and HDR Movie Shooting. Whether it’s safari, sport or sunny scenes on the beach, Dual Pixel CMOS AF tracks subjects as they move, focusing smoothly for professional-looking results. For shooting movies on the go 5-axis digital image stabiliser irons out camera movements when shooting hand-held movies.
To help make the camera your own, the EOS 77D offers full control, with dual control wheels to adjust settings like aperture and shutter speed, and top panel LCD to help you see every setting. For less seasoned photographers, the EOS 800D’s guided interface teaches you how camera settings work as you shoot, transforming your photography and helping you grow in skill.
Shoot, connect, share
NFC and Wi-Fi lets you simply share images and movies to compatible smart devices or a Canon Connect Station before editing and sharing with the world. For a constant connection, Bluetooth lets you turn on and browse photos without having to take the camera from your bag, or operate it remotely via a smart device or the new Remote Controller BR-E1.
Extend your photography range
The new EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM kit lens is an ideal lens to get started with and complements an all-rounder DSLR with the capability to shoot a wide range of pictures, from landscape to portraits. The smallest in its class, the lens is packed with a 4-stop Image Stabilizer for steady low-light or full zoom shots, and 7-blade circular aperture for pleasing background blur in portraits. For video scenes Servo AF with near-silent STM is perfect for focusing without distracting noise.
EOS 77D key features
- Instinctive controls
- 24.2MP resolution
- 45-point all Cross Type autofocus Easy to use
- Bluetooth wireless control and sharing with smart devices
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for smooth, fast and accurate video focusing
EOS 800D key features
- APS-C sized 24.2 megapixel DSLR image quality
- Optical viewfinder and Vari-angle touch screen
- Easy to wirelessly share images with your smart devices
- 45 cross-type AF points, and world’s fastest live view autofocus
- Pin-sharp Full HD video that’s easy to shoot
EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM key features
- Versatile 18-55mm zoom range
- 61.8mm long and weighs just 215g
- 4-stop Image Stabilizer
- STM autofocus
- Excellent image quality
Remote Controller BR-E1 key features
- Bluetooth connectivity
- 5m range from all directions
- Easy-to-find controls
- Capture images and movies
- Focus and zoom controls
Pricing and availability
- The EOS 77D will be available from April 2017 with an RRP of £829.99/ €1,079.99
- The EOS 77D + EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM will be available from April 2017 with an RRP of £919.99/ €1,199.99
- The EOS 77D + EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM will be available from April 2017 with an RRP of £1,199.99/ €1569.99
- The EOS 800D will be available from April 2017 with an RRP of £779.99/€1,019.99
- The EOS 800D + EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM will be available from April 2017 with an RRP of £869.99/€1,139.99
- The EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM will be available from April 2017 with an RRP of £219.99/€1,139.99
- The Remote Controller BR-E1 will be available from April 2017 with an RRP of £39.99/€49.99